Monday, February 7, 2011

Relocating lions at Panda

Relocating lions at Panda

Stalking Lions at Pandamatenga

I promised an update and pictures but unfortunately all the action was at night and I was unsuccessful in my attempts. There has been a pride of Lions attacking cattle in the farm community of Pandamatenga. Unfortunately comms were not established in time and a farmer shot and killed an adult lioness. The next day I was on scene. Walking thru the bush of the farm we found many fresh lion tracks to confirm they were in the area. We also found 3 snares that had been set up along game paths. This really gets my blood boiling. What a horrible death for the poor misfortunate. A cow of the farmer had died acutely, I believe of some plant toxin, so we were able to drag the carcass behind my vehicle to put out fresh scent to attract the misfits.

During this process I got stuck in the mud 5 times, broke my brand new winch which I purchased to replace the last one that burned out pulling over a darted elephant. Also a cut thru the sidewall. So far the bill for this expedition is P8000.00 for winch and P2200.00 for new tire P600.00 of fuel. At dark after a dinner of sandwiches and drinks I provided for the wardens I had with me P340.00, we were off to set ourselves up. It had just become dark and as we drove down the road out, the culprits ran in front of us. They were already in the cattle enclosure at that time. 5 wardens squeezed into the back of the car, one in front and myself. Between the wires for spotlight with red filter, predator calls and dart gun I could hardly move.

The speaker from the predator call wailed out various different frequencies including a Buffalo calf in distress, Hyenas fighting over a kill and lions roaring to announce their territory. Our field of view was very limited as the bush was very thick and we could only see 30 meters. I hear a noise in front and on goes the red spotlight. A fully grown lioness was thru the bush 20 meters away and coming in. I at this time mixed up the tranquilizing drug ( P 780.00) into a dart ( P 250.00) in preparation to dart her, Once the solution has been mixed its only effective for 3 days. Gun out the window awaiting her to come to the bait. Another set of eyes running towards up at full bore. A large hyena runs in attracted by calls and there is a sudden and violent but short fight. These are legendary enemies. There goes that opportunity.

30 minutes later another set of eyes. On with the spotlight. Here come the 2 young lions running towards us. As soon as light goes on they disappear. They have been shot at and chased and every night they spotlight them and shoot up flares in an attempt to scare them in. Cages have been set with bait but these lions are smarter than most as they have learned the ways of man.

I instructed the farmer to hang the bait in a tree and call me when the lions hit it. We head home in early hours of morning. One and half hour drive. Many elephants on the road feeding and crossing so we need to proceed cautiously. It’s amazing how such a large creature is not visible, especially if he’s walking down the road with his back to you.

The next day I receive a call the lions are on bait. Once more I head out and this time I need to change my tactics. Unfortunately I had borrowed out my night vision scope to an ant poaching unit and have not received it back yet. Sitting alone 20 meters from the bait with only a branch to cover me and having spread carcass contents on my clothes to ask my scent I felt very vulnerable. The plan was to hear the lions feed on the bait then dart them without and benefit of light. Fortunately there was a sliver of moonlight so I could make outlines. I did not expect the mosquito population and had not bought spray as the lions would have smelled me. It was extremely uncomfortable a miserable for the 3 hours I sat there. Wardens were waiting at camp ready to load the lions in to cages we had brought with and relocate them. They never showed up. To this date they have not come back. I guess they knew there was a new sheriff in town. I wish them well and hope they change their appetite for cattle.

Not such a dramatic story but it gives one idea of what I deal with and the expenses involved, I don’t even want to add those up. Now I am busy organizing the vaccination campaign. Thanks to donations I will be able to pay for these and execute the exercise in 4 days. Lots of work to do there but is essential for prevention of virus spread. I’m sure I will be able to post pictures of wild dogs attempting to savage my hand. 
My Life…..