Monday, April 30, 2012

Back home safe after first trip to Kenya April 2012

I am back safe from a one month in Kenya working with Sheldricks elephant orphanage and various veterinary units with the Kenya Wildlife service (KWS). One year ago this day I ...was sitting in a Botswana prison having no clue why I was there and trying to stay alive in a very hostile environment awaiting deportation. Yes I have disappeared for a year and rumours are rampant as to what has happened to me. As you know I was never charged or accused of any wrong doing and I was denied my day in court as they would have had nothing to pin on me. I will in the next few weeks’ post the facts of what happened to me and I will let you all make up your own minds.
Instead of being a “broken man” as was the perception after having lost all my substantial investments and property in Botswana and my passion as a volunteer Veterinarian and Honourary Game Warden for Chobe National Park for 5 years, I have had a very productive year and have moved forward continuing my legacy of saving wildlife.
I have remained silent mainly because I want to continue working in Africa and was scared that this Botswana nonsense would prevent me from doing so. In fact I have not had to be negative about the leadership of Botswana as they are doing a fine job of incriminating themselves violating human rights and making huge blunders on their own. They will bury themselves as hopefully all people are not ignorant and in the end all truths are revealed.
It took me 2 months to recuperate from the trauma of being deported. Unfortunately Laura and I broke up as the stress of the incident was just too much on our relationship. She has moved on and married a very nice man and I am happy for her. I have met a very wonderful woman with children I adore and am very happy on the home front.
In March I travelled to Kenya were I toured the country meeting some wonderful people including Helen Douglas-Dufresne of Milgis Trust. http://milgistrustkenya.com/ . My travels took me to Malawi, Mozambique and South Africa in search of a place to relocate where my veterinary and management knowledge would be most beneficial.
I have been a consultant to Sheldricks elephant orphanage for 8 months now http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/index.asp I have almost weekly been helping them with cases they have difficulty with. I diagnosed and treated a pancreatic enzyme deficiency in a baby elephant and saved its life and many others since then, as this seems to be a common problem. I have recently returned from there after updating their veterinary knowledge and technology as on my recommendation, we were able to get donations to supply them with sate of the art diagnostic blood machines and a digital x-ray machine. These additions have and will continue to save many more baby elephants as daily monitoring is now possible. I estimate we have increased their survivability rate by 70%.
I also have worked with the various KWS veterinary, in the field groups, and we have shared a wealth of knowledge and experience and many good times were had.
While in USA this year I volunteered my time to the SPCA doing much sterilization. I have continued my relationship with the local wildlife rescue organization Wildlife Education and Rehabilitation rescue http://wildlifeinc.org/
I have advised and donated medications to Patrick Webb of NWHS and sit on their advisory board . Condolences on loss of his tiger Apache. http://www.humanewildlife.org/index
I have volunteered my time to help with Chis Aaron of Florida Brittany Rescue http://www.floridabrittanyrescue.org/page/homepage

I will shortly be going to Venezuela to assist a zoo with health and management plan for a dilapidated facility.
I will over the next few weeks share my adventures with you by posting pictures and stories.
I’m currently taking my Fishing Guides Licence so I can make some income taking out paying clients to catch and release only fishing in the Tampa Bay area. This will allow me freedom to not be tied down to a business so I can be available to be a travelling consulting wildlife veterinarian throughout the world in conjunction with my Non-profit organization International Wildlife Rescue http://www.internationalwildliferescue.org/
After that I will post the facts of what occurred in Botswana. Then you can judge for yourself.
I’m not being paranoid as will be revealed but a note to Botswana DIS whom is monitoring my mails and movements. In the event that I am to expire suddenly I have left instructions with various lawyers to disclose incriminating evidence. I’m tired of looking over my shoulder so back off!