Thursday, November 29, 2012

The death of Rukinga


I arrived at Sheldricks on a Tuesday and set up the blood machines first thing. I was to attend to a very sick baby by the Name of Rukinga. After examining him is was obvious that he was severely dehydrated and very emaciated as he had been... suffering from chronic diarrhoea that affects these youngsters when that are teething, and have obvious stress from the pain and discomfort
Rukinga was very weak and very close to death that morning.. Blood work revealed some Kidney damage due to dehydration and shock and a slightly elevated White Cell Count indicating the start of infection.
We immediately put him on a Dextrose and electrolyte drip and pushed 4 litres is him.
The change was immediate. Rukinga was very loving and much attached to his keeper Saul. Saul was with him during the day and then another keeper does the night shift. I was so impressed with the enthusiasm and genuine love these men have for their assigned orphans. These are truly dedicated people. I cannot imagine the grief they must experience when one of their babies gets sick and dies. I was only there a week and I could not control my emotions (I think I am a tough guy... )
On day 2 Rukinga was completely rehydrated and was stronger and more aware of his environment. We ran blood every day, and today the White Cell has increased and the kidney enzymes worsening. Not a good sign. The diarrhoea still continued unabated. The IV fluids were continued and I gave him a shot of antibiotic, staying away from oral antibiotic, which would kill the intestinal bacteria that are present in these pre -ruminating elephants. I saw no antidiarrheal meds in the store room so I gave one Imodium that I had in my kit. The diarrhoea stopped immediately. As he was drinking milk and water freely we removed the IV. He continued to strengthen daily and his bowel movements were reduced to only 3 to 4 times per day tough still very watery.
On day 4 His white cell had come down to Normal and Kidney enzymes had significantly decreased.
On day 5 I arrived to see him recumbent in a lot of distress, his stomach muscles were cramping. We set up another IV drip so I could give him Intravenous anti-nausea and pain medication. Within an hour Kithaka was sleeping comfortably. That afternoon he was playful and sucked down his bottle. This was an emotional rollercoaster
On day 6 he began to get slightly depressed and this depression deepened over the next few days. What was strange is that his blood results had all come down within normal limits. I suspect the stress and up and down feelings may have taken their toll. These are extremely sensitive creatures. He seemed to maintain fairly stable over the next few days and we had to keep him on an IV as his appetite had decreased. On day 8 Rukinga had overnight dislodged his IV and in the morning when I arrived he had just simply given up. Sadly he died that afternoon, his passing was quiet and with no real distress.
I had spent 7 days with this baby and I could not stop tears from flowing. One can dissect the situation every which way, and on recalling the procedures, there is nothing we could have done more than we did. I could not imagine what Saul and his colleagues who had become by my friends were feeling. A lot of lessons were learned, but the sadness returns, and we will get to that another day…