Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Working with wildlife in USA January 2012 onwards


For many years while I was in private practice I volunteered my services to Gail Straight at Wildlife Inc. They are wonderfully dedicated people and work 24/7 to save the local wildlife. Their home is overtaken by squirrels, racoons, Tortoises, all kinds of Birds including raptors. Very rarely do you meet such dedicated conservationists that are actually making a huge difference. I am no on call for them when I am needed. In the album I amputated a wing on a spoonbill that had an open fracture. This bird is doing well and will be reintroduced to a park where it can ground feed with its mates. One big surprise was when a volunteer showed up with a Green Sea turtle. This species has not been seen in Florida for over 25 years. The turtle watch people locate egg sites and fence them off and guard them 24/7/ , when the hatchlings come they make sure they are directed to the water and to hopefully survive for a long life. I take my hat off to these incredible people. Also in album is a white or pied Florida deer which is part of the family and the rodent is a flying squirrel.

Kudos to Wildlife Inc.