Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Lions prides re-establish on waterfront

Lions re-establish in ChobeMuch to my utmost happiness 2 new prides of lions have moved in to Chobe waterfront. I have seen 2 large black mane males with about 5 lionesses and a Golden mane with about 4 lionesses. I have no clue where they came from but assume they moved in from Savuit of Zimbabwe. Without satellite tracking collars and genetic typing it will be impossible to tell. It is my hope that I can raise enough funds to be able to purchase collars and do blood testing for various diseases and get a data base for this important ecosystem. As you know it is my belief that last year’s residents all succumbed to Canine Distemper virus transmitted from infected domesticated dogs of Kasane.

I have 1600 doses of dog vaccine in my refrigerator awaiting the wheels of bureaucracy to turn before I can vaccinate community dogs. The vaccination program has been delayed one more week. I am thankful that I have seen no new cases other than the 5 I have seen in the last 3 weeks. It’s so frustrating working in Africa at times but the wheel will turn and we will vaccinate dogs. It was friend from face book that donated funds to make this possible. I apologize to you for not having it done yet. I’m sure it will be OK as I am not seeing explosive outbreak like last year and we will prevent this from spreading into wildlife predators.

We spotted a young male and lioness as we were n a game drive a few days ago walking out of the bush with their mouths dirty from eating. On investigation we discovered an elephant carcass they were feeding on. It was a female about 17 years old with no obvious signs on trauma. There were no wounds from lion scratches and no obvious wounds on side that was visible. No tarry discharges as seen in Anthrax. Cause of death unknown but I suspect it may have been poached.

On the way home a lioness crossed the road. It was old one eye. I have known this cat for over 3 years and had treated her for mastitis a few weeks back. To my utter surprise and happiness 3 beautiful cubs trailed behind her. She is very protective so we did not approach close to her. They are healthy and happy and amused us with their antics. The mother and cubs would have died if I had not treated her and it does my heart good to be able to make a difference.

I have added a few other pictures of the day, for fun