Friday, December 24, 2010

Home Invader

Home invader
A day of work and a night of horror. Home invader confronted in Kitchen of  home.

I spent all afternoon traveling to rescue and treat a baby Zebra and was writing a letter when I heard a noise in the house, Below is copy Of email sent out to Kasane residents.

AFRICA CAN BE A VERY SCARY PLACE....

December 24 2010

Hello everyone

Please be aware that there are active thieves in town. I heard the gate to the kitchen squeak at 1:30 am on the 24th. I thought it may have been baby zebra walking in stoop. 5 minutes later I heard Minnie bark. I went to investigate and as I walked into kitchen there stood a Black man approximately 35 years old  5 ft 9 inches with short hair and a slight beard not 2 feet away from me. He had a large knife strapped to his chest and was wearing blue overalls. I had not locked the back door and he chipped away the wood on the panel. I ran to the bedroom to retrieve shotgun and pressed the panic button for Trojan the alarm company.

I ran back out and shot twice into the air but he was long gone. The 911 radio that has not been functional from day one was useless so I could not call for assistance. Trojan never responded. I locked Laura in bedroom and took land cruiser to search for him. From the car I dialed 911 and was immediately answered and they dispatched the police that were on scene within 10 minutes. I cannot imagine what could have happened if I was sleeping and he had free range of house. It is a very scary and angering episode. Please be aware and tighten your security.

I wish everyone a safe and prosperous Christmas and New Year,

It’s good to be home but could do without this episode.