Monday, December 27, 2010

Lioness with Mastitis treated. Cubs saved

Lioness with Mastitis treated. Cubs saved.

Today we came across first pride of Lions I have seen in 4 months. I am so happy they have moved in. We saw 2 mature Golden Mane Lions, 3 juvenile males and 3 adult lionesses. Guides said they have seen 2 cubs about 3 months old. One female was in extreme discomfort with Mastitis. This is an infection of the breasts which causes inflammation and severe pain. The milk can go bad and the cubs may die

from bad milk. I loaded a dart with antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and a pain killer. I broke of the barb of the dart so it could inject and fall out and darted her. It’s amazing how they respond to treatment and I’m sure she will be healed in 24 hours, thereby also saving the cubs.

The rest of the pictures, after the dart was picked up, were a record of a typical day in Chobe.













                               -----------------------------------------------