Thursday, December 23, 2010

Zebra Baby Rescued

Zebra baby rescued

On this day I was called by private citizen from farm town of Pandamatenga . This is a 100 kilometer drive one way. Unfortunately the only vehicle I had available was my large Dodge truck. The Zebras mother had been killed that morning by a pride of Lions and was rescued by a local resident. After calling me we had agreed i would drive out there if i would be re compensated for fuel. On arrival Zeby as we call her was in a fairly stable condition but had suffered shock.

I gave her subcutaneous fluids, antibiotics, worming and shock treatment. After a slight sedation we loaded her up in the backseat of the truck for the hour long drive home. Poor Laura had to sit with her in the back and she was leaning on her and occasionally would attempt to bolt. After awhile she went to sleep. 

I forgot to mention that when I left camp the person that called me rapidly disappeared without even saying goodbye. Five kilometers out of Kasane the truck that was full at beginning ran out of fuel. Fortunately I had a 5 liter can in the back. We arrived in Kasane to discover that there was not any fuel available anywhere in town. TIA. We managed to make it home.

Zeby was in stable condition and i mixed her a nice milk cocktail. I fortunately had a rubber nipple in the clinic. After she had a taste she hungrily drank down 2 bottles. We all felt much relief as we know that she will now survive. It now going to be feeding various times a day until she is old enough to start eating grass on her own. We have an enclosure in our back yard so she can move around.  As soon as she is old enough we will reintroduce her to a herd and hopefully she will be accepted. We will keep human contact to a minimum.

As for the tank of fuel promised nothing was ever mentioned. It cost me P700.00 to fill up the tank and this vehicle is a gas guzzler which i rarely use. I was so annoyed that this happened. Once again i get stuck with the expenses. There will be a lot of time and effort expended to rehabilitate this baby.

I wish there was a way I could keep human contact to a minimum. Africa is harsh and the lions also need to eat. 
At least this baby will get a second chance to live a full life...