Sunday, December 9, 2012

Having some fun with elephant keepers


While at Sheldricks I became very close to many of the keepers that spend 24/7 with these baby orphans. I am so impressed with the native Kenyan people for their friendliness, passion and love they have for wildlife. I always carried my stethoscope around my neck and after a few days the keepers were asking me to listen to their heart. The game was on.

The first day I had a line of men. I would select a particularly vulnerable member and would listen very carefully to their chest closing my eyes and slowly shaking my head. “You are going to die” is said. “But today you are strong as Bull”. Hilarious laughter from all around.

This continued and the next week I repeated the same scenario. “I asked were you ever in love? “On confirmation I replied “You have a broken heart”. Once again hilarious laughter.

I love these people. The salt of the earth