Thursday, December 6, 2012

Letter from a stranger that inspired me as to his insight of the African situation

This email from a friend inspired me. I keep the name private as a courtesy.
Good day
Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to attend to this message. It really means a lot to me and your time is truly appreciated.
The reason behind the effort off getting into contact with you is quite simple and it is the fact that I, like so many others, believe that you are indeed masters of yo...ur craft, that you are skilled and successful and that you have been honed by many years of hands-on experience in your field and it is with the above mentioned in mind that I humbly seek advice.
I consider myself to be a true bush man, by heart and by nature. Nothing on earth inspires me more than the absolute overwhelming beauty and splendor of nature. Many hours of my life has been spent observing the big and even the little things in nature and feeling nothing but an abundance of satisfaction and quiet appreciation whilst silently observing this beautiful planet at work in the most mind-blowing ways. This is the reason why for the past six years of my life, I have been living in the most remote, unforgiving, inhospitable and harsh environments that this continent of Africa has to offer.
During this time however, I couldn’t help but get entirely lost and falling deeper and deeper into a man-made bottomless pit. I should explain: I started my career as a teacher in South Africa, but ever since I can remember, I wanted to live my life in the wilderness. I’ve accomplished this some years ago as I managed to obtain an occupation as guide on a lodge in Namibia and later lodge manager. Fuelled by the desire to become more involved in nature conservation and knowing very well that the ‘old school’ game rangers of the previous generation is still going strong, but slowly fading away and that the younger generation seems to have lost interest in these roots, I tried getting involved in many privately owned “rehabilitation” projects, just to realize with a tremendous shock that all of these were fake. These establishments were created for the sole purpose to make money and the well-being off the animals and environment was not on the list to be considered. I tried removing myself from environments like these and established myself at lodges in Damaraland and Kaokoveld in Namibia’s arid North-western region and even here I came to the shocking realization that my entire life is governed by someone else’s greed and according to me it defies the purpose of living in pristine environments. During my time in Namibia, I became close friends with many of the ‘old-school’ game rangers and people who are truly concerned with nature conservation. ( names deleted) others are people who inspired me to reach my highest potential, but I also realized quickly that these people are also slowly fading into the background and that there is none to take their place and due to Namibia’s strict policies regarding foreigners, we were forced to leave the country.
Recently, I’ve moved to Katavi National Park in Tanzania, once again as lodge manager and it is truly a gem, one of Tanzania’s best kept secrets and I believed that it was here where I could really get in touch with true untouched nature, but once again, I find myself being stuck on a lodge and working in and environment where nature and nature conservation is off the smallest concern.
I’m married to a wonderful wife who share my passion for nature and we recently found out that she is pregnant. This gives us great and overwhelming joy as we want nothing more than to raise a child in this magnificent wildernesses, but this has also forced me to ask myself: “Should I stop chasing senseless dreams?” Which is why I would like to ask your advice?
Is there still and opportunity for a relatively young man like myself to really live hand in hand with nature, to devote my entire life and being to the environment and the conservation thereof or do I have to accept the inevitable? To accept that we live in a world that is governed and controlled by the economy, money and finance? That people have forgotten about respect, love and other defining attributes and that the sole intention for everyone is to fill his/her own pockets, build empires and fuel their greed? Should I stop believing, because for the first time, I can feel my faith that there is still true and pure intentions behind conservation projects and lodges faltering and I need to know whether if I am chasing senseless dreams or should I just accept what is and work for corporate giants, who’s only interest is to build themselves and empire, for the rest of my life?
Once again, I would like to thank you for your time. It is really appreciated.
Expand

Clay Wilson
Wow you inspire me. Thank you for your kind mail. You are truly a man of the bush and in contact with your inner self and nature which I am sure you have realized is a reflection of God.
Like you i have paid the price for my passions and was deported from Botswana for trying to stop the rampant elephant poaching. I lost everything material I have but I can tell you that my sprit has not been broken.
Unfortunately as I have also concluded it’s all about the money. No one really cares about the wildlife and this is very sad. Even the big wildlife conservancy institutions are mainly a scam and the fact is that if 5% of donations get to the man on the frontline predating on people’s emotions for their monetary gain.
I believe that God leads me in my venture and my faith has sustained me and has carried me thru these hard times. I have been silent but not for long as I feel the need to expose these corrupt leaders. Not uncommon throughout Africa.
You have a rare insight and I plead with you not to lose your resolve. We need more people like you in this world.
You have a family to support and I am sure your love will grow and flourish. Teach your child the ways of the bush. He will continue your legacy and will be the future of preserve our precious wildlife heritage which is being decimated by human greed and corruption. This may be your task in this life.
I don’t have the answers but I believe that one must persevere in ones beliefs and passions until the dying day.
I have put my life on the line on many occasions to save wildlife and am in fear of assassination but I will not give up.
I assure you that when I re-establish I will need men of your caliber to assist in this fight.
This is a promise I make to you.
I remain in awe of your insight
Dr Clay